Brightwell Aquatics Boost pH+ raises the pH in the Marine Aquarium / Reef Tank without increasing the alkalinity or calcium concentration (in tanks already having a proper dKH).
Allows maintaining a pH of 8.3, 8.4 or 8.5 in difficult tanks without raising the alkalinity (when used as directed).
BRIGHTWELL Boost pH+ plus - Liquid pH increasing Supplement 250ml / 500ml
- Increases pH in marine and reef aquaria without affecting alkalinity or calcium level on properly buffered tanks (which is an unusual ability not found in most similar products) .
- Works with buffers and alkalinity products to increase pH to desirable 8,3, 8.4 or 8.5 levels without increasing alkalinity itself (in marine aquariums that have a proper alkalinity of 7.7 to 10 dKH)
- Thought to assist coral growth. Anecdotal evidence shows higher pH allows increased growth rate in new frags and mother colonies in coral grow out facilities
Can cause burns, First read warning and follow safety recommendations while using or storing this product! Wear suitable gloves and eye/face protection during use. When used as directed, this product safely raises pH only and does not increase alkalinity or calcium level. You must use other products for those functions and those functions are absolutely required in every marine aquarium.
Do not attempt to use Boost pH+ on systems with low alkalinity or to use it to raise alkalinity. It is not designed for that.
First, determine the alkalinity in the aquarium using an accurate test kit (recommended) or recently-calibrated meter before using this product (see section below on pitfalls prior to use). If the alkalinity is below 7.6 dKH or 2.7 meq/L , adjust it first using Brightwell Aquatics’ pH+ or Alkalin8.3 or Alkalin8.3-P (powder) (all three of these products raise both the alkalinity and pH, unlike Boost pH+ which only raises the pH and not the alkalinity) and then ideally allow 24-hours to elapse before re-testing alkalinity and pH, then adjust pH upward, if needed, by adding Boost pH+ as directed below. The dosage required will vary significantly based on a number of factors, but as a general estimate, 3.75 ml of Boost pH+ will raise the pH of 10 US gallons by about .1 pH.
First adjust the alkalinity to a range of 7.5 - 10.0. dKH (2.7 - 3.6 meq/L) as described above using Brightwell Aquatics’ pH+ or Alkalin8.3 or Alkalin8.3-P (powder) as directed on their bottles. To raise pH further without increasing alkalinity, add 3.75 ml per of Boost pH+ (this product) per 10 US gallons in a high flow area such as a pump intake or a power head exhaust. pH will generally stabilize within 10 minutes following product use, Re-measure pH and dose again, if necessary. Do not add more than 10 ml per 10 gallons per day! Livestock should not be subjected to a change in pH of more than 0.2 per 24-hour period, so do not overdose Boost pH+. Repeat as needed to attain desired pH value. It is recommended that pH be maintained within a range of +/-0.2 at all times.
Boost pH+ is an excellent but somewhat unusual product, in that it is designed to adjust only the high end of your normal buffering system, not do the entire work of a complete buffer. It has to be designed this way because a regular buffer cannot readily be adjusted to go higher than about 8.3 pH. A product like Brightwell Aquatics’ pH+ or Alkalin8.3 or Alkalin8.3-P (powder) must first be used or the marine salt you are using must be properly buffered so that the alkalinity is in normal seawater ranges. If the alkalinity is too low, Boost pH+ cannot work properly, and you will be disappointed. Of course, it is dangerous to operate a marine system below 7.5 dKH and most hobbyists understand this. Systems with low alkalinity are subject to catastrophically rapid drops in pH, in much the same way that bank accounts that have low balances are subject to sudden overdrafts. In this age of the internet where seemingly everyone with a computer is an expert, there are voices that say that you can operate your tank at 7.0 or even lower (these are individuals that likely like to "roll the dice" at a casino too). Of course a marine aquarium will operate just fine at the low dKH until there is an upset and then everything dies.
Perhaps the worst mistake you can make would be to hook up a large bottle of Boost pH+ to a doser on the first day you use it - without understanding how it works or the effect it will have on your system. And yes, we have had customers who did this, believe it or not. This is particularly true if the system has low or borderline low alkalinity. In that case the electrode would call for large amounts of Boost pH+ and the result would be an overdose of the system. pH probes can be notoriously inaccurate when they are not maintained properly nor calibrated properly. This exacerbates the problem. We suggest that you use a regular test kit and manually dose until you see how the product effects your system.
FIRST, please read this entire page! Boost pH is designed to be used as needed. Although it can be dosed, there can be difficulties with dosing, if you don't understand the pitfalls (see Pitfalls section below).
pH is a measurement of the acidity of a solution, such as aquarium water.
The pH of natural seawater ranges from approximately 8.2 - 8.4, however maintaining pH in the range of 8.4 - 8.5 on a daily basis is thought to have a positive effect on captive marine organism growth rate, primarily in stony corals. Also may help prevent bleaching, boost immune response and assist in coloration. To maintain a stable pH within the desired range, the alkalinity must first be maintained within a range of 7.5 - 10.0 dKH (2.7 - 3.6 meq/L). Aquaria with low circulation at the water’s surface, or in which a CO2-injected calcium reactor is being employed, or which are placed in an enclosed room with human and animal inhabitants (giving off CO2 into the air), often have a depressed pH due to carbon dioxide build up. In an aquarium which has a proper alkalinity as stated above, Boost pH+, along with other measures, such as providing outside air to the skimmer intake and other CO2 control methods, can help to bring pH in the aquarium back into a higher desired range without raising alkalinity to an unacceptable level. Use as directed and do not exceed a pH value of 8.5, because pH at 8.6 or higher may be stressful and/or damaging to sensitive aquarium inhabitants. Additionally, changes to pH should be made very gradually, again to avoid stressing aquarium inhabitants. See suggestions for adjusting alkalinity below. It is not unusual for pH to fluctuate throughout the course of 24-hours between seemingly wide-ranging values (i.e. lower at night higher during the middle of the day); this is a natural occurrence that is caused by changes in the rates of photosynthesis between dark and light periods. If pH levels are seen to be constantly below the desired level and alkalinity is within the proper range, then the addition of Boost pH+, this product, may be very helpful if the hobbyist has already properly adjusted the alkalinity and it is within recommended ranges. If comparing pH to determine how Boost pH+ is working, measure at the same time every day.
The following is a list of mistakes that could cause Boost pH+ not to give you the performance you desire:
- If you don't adjust the alkalinity to at least 7.5 dKH and maintain that level. The water industry calls alkalinity "temporary hardness." This may be a better term. Alkalinity must always be added because it is always reacting and leaving the system. If you don't properly adjust alkalinity with a true buffer, you could observe the need for excessive amounts of Boost pH+, excessive cloudiness of the aquarium or the product will not perform as advertised. We also recommend that you use a true buffer, such as Brightwell Aquatics’ Alkalin8.3 or Alkalin8.3-P to increase the alkalinity, instead of some of the single component so called "alkalinity" supplements that only contain sodium carbonate. You could save money from using them, but they are not really bargains when you factor in the instability in your aquarium that they cannot overcome. True buffers have multiple ingredients blended to provide tighter control over pH swings and the relative safety from crashes. True buffers regulate pH besides providing alkalinity. Sodium carbonate alone does a poor job of regulating.
- pH probes are a problem! Most pH probes will last less than a year in an aquarium, many about six months. They are not really designed to be used with the plethora of bacteria and particulate matter that exist in an aquarium. Bacterial slimes, calcium deposits and other coatings build up on their surface rendering them slow, sluggish, or incorrect. Many hobbyists think their probe is working when it is not. A pH probe must be cleaned with a properly designed cleaning fluid to remove deposits and calibrated regularly (several times a week). Using Boost pH+ to try to raise pH with an incorrectly reading probe is a recipe for difficulty. The first thing you might notice would be cloudiness. If you see cloudiness, stop and check your pH with a test kit. Test kits are typically much more reliable than electrodes, in an aquarium environment.
- If you set up Boost pH+ on a doser prior to first using it on the system and understanding how it interacts with alkalinity on your particular tank, you are asking for trouble. Boost pH+ can be dosed on systems that have an automatically controlled alkalinity (to keep the alkalinity above 7.5 dKH), but you should take time to see how it interacts first. Go slow. Overuse of Boost pH+ can raise the pH too high if you don't measure and pay attention. Our true buffers, Alkalin8.3 or Alkalin8.3-P, can be overused without much consequences, but Boost pH+ should not be. True buffers will stop at a pH of about 8.3. This is not true of Boost pH+, because it is not a buffer. If you continue to add Boost pH+ to try to raise alkalinity, it could continue to raise the pH to even dangerous levels in much the same way as continuing to press the accelerator on your car will increase the speed past the speed limit. This isn't likely, but it could happen with gross neglect. Adding Boost pH+ manually based on pH tests is the best method, until you understand how it works.
- Signs that you may be overdosing Boost pH+ are cloudiness in the aquarium, or an increase in alkalinity. If Boost pH+ is increasing your alkalinity, you are adding too much or too fast.
Contains caustic sodium and potassium hydroxides; Causes burns. Keep out of reach of children. Wear suitable gloves and eye/face protection during use. Harmful if swallowed. If swallowed: Do not induce vomiting. First rinse mouth thoroughly, then give water, call a poison control center and get medical attention. May cause eye or skin irritation. If in eyes, remove any contact lenses, flush with water for 15 minutes IMMEDIATELY, if irritation persists, get medical attention. If on skin, remove contaminated clothes, wash skin thoroughly with soap and water for 5 to 10 minutes. Not for human consumption.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
We want you to be fully happy with your new macroalgae addition. Therefore we offer you a hassle free Satisfaction Guarantee.
If you are not 100% happy with the macroalgae you have received on arrival we will refund you the full money back. *1
We even will cover the return costs. The refund will be offered after we arrived and checked the returned marine algae.
*1 = Valid for UK Orders only, please see our Terms for EU orders HERE
PREMIUM QUALITY GUARANTEE
We offer for sale macroalgae from our mature macroalgae mother colonies in a premium quality & 100% healthy within the UK and EU.
All live algae species are sustainably grown in the UK.
All macroalgae will be well protected when posted to you to ensure that it will arrive in the best condition at yours.
BEST PRICE GUARANTEE
We won't be beaten on the premium quality of our live algae cultures, and surely not on the price either!
Have you seen the same macroalgae somewhere else cheaper?
Please just send us a message HERE and we will check your request within 24 hours ( working days only ).
When we can match the other price we will send you a discounted offer which will be valid for the next 7 days after receiving our email.
This offer will be just valid for purchases using the same email address provided before.
The price match offer is only valid for identical, same size/amount and available macroalgae species.
As a proud UK based tax paying business, we don't price match any offers against auction sites or from private sellers.
The price match offer is just valid for UK deliveries. We reserve the right to refuse a price match request.
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us.
Your Livealgae UK